PARTICIPATION IN GOVERNMENT
2/1 #1 Course Guidelines and Requirements. Read, fill in your goal for the class, sign and return
Answer in Writing : Identify one social, one political, one economic problem that a Government should solve...For each category explain why it is a Government that is best suited to solve the problems you have chosen. No more than one paragraph for each problem.
2/2 #2 Origins of the State and Government I Read Aristotle Politics (excerpt) Please bring the reading to class as well.
1. How does Aristotle define the State?
2. According to Aristotle what is a citizen?
3. List and describe the three forms of government and their perversions.
4. What does he propose are the primary concerns/responsibilities of a government?
2/3-2/6 #3 Origins of the State and Government II Read DIA pgs 5-11
1. Define: State; Nation-State, consensus, sovereignty, government, social contract
2. Summarize the four theories on the Origin of States
3. According to the reading, what are the purposes of Government. Would you add or subtract any purposes? Why?
2/9 #4 Characteristics of Democracy and Economy DIA pgs20-30
1. What are the Nine Characteristics of Democracy that your book lays out on pgs 20-24?
2. If you could only choose four to exist in Democracy...which four would they be. Briefly explain why for each one.
3. Define: Capitalism, Socialism, and Communism
2/16 #5 Independence DIA pgs42-47
1. How did King George III seek to make the Colonies pay for the French and Indian War?
2. Define: Committees of Correspondence
3. How did the First Continental Congress seek to push back against the British? What was the result?
4. What did the Second Continental Congress do to resist the British?
2/28 Read DIA pgs 53-58
1. What did the Virginia Plan propose?
2. Why did smaller States oppose the Virginia Plan? What principles did their counter-proposal detail?
3. Explain the Connecticut Compromise and the Three-Fifths Compromise.
4. What is the difference between a Federalist and an Anti-Federalist? What did the Anti-Federalists demand be done in order to ensure their support for the new Constitution?